Sunday, November 25, 2007

After being out of the village for four weeks, I returned to my dusty hut. I spent the first day and a half sweeping up piles of dirt that had fallen from my thatch roof, mud cacoons of giant wasps used to trap and eat fat juicy grubs.



My bathroom as bloomed into a tropical paradise. I must have the nicest squat toilet in the country. Passion fruit vines climbed up my walls and tangled with the squash vines and two papaya trees provide some nice shade.






The weather has turned cool, getting down to 55°F at night. The leaves are turning gold and falling off. Birds sing in the trees and hop on the ground. Hornbills, starlings, weavers, birds I cannot see only hear. I like to sit and watch them. It is better than TV. Rather it is like buying tickets to see the nature channel performed live. All the corn is cut down inside my compound and the cows come up to my hut to graze. The grass is high and drying, exactly like when I came here this time last year.




My host mother is always so welcoming and delivered the great news that I have a namesake. The night before my sister Maimouna had a baby girl and named it Dienaba after me. She says it is because the girl was red like me and has my lips and nose. That won't last long.



This week I worked out some of the details of my dad's trip to Senegal. One of the major one's was buying a cow. I had to ride in a crowded bus 38km into the bush and pick out a cow from the herds tied to the trees. I know nothing about cows, so I brought a guy from my village and a guy friend from Peace Corps help out. In the end I got a nice looking heffer that will feed a lot of people at the upcoming holiday.



Although it is kinda hard for me because I really like baby cows...



The dirtiest part of the trip was coming back in a crowded bus loaded with sheep, goats, chicken, raw milk, and for my added enjoyment a live and kicking goat under my seat. I sat all the way in the back and the driver was hauling down the dirt roads covering me in red dirt from head to toe. When I got off I looked pretty disgusting with rotten milk mud down my leg, goat piss in my hair, and red dirt covering every inch of my body.




I just got back from a crazy bike and camping trip out to the falls called Toumania. The ride took 5 hours including an hour of literal bush wacking to get to the crystal clear pools a whopping 45km out of town. We set up our hammocks in the trees and started a fire, drank wine and whisky, ate raviolis from the can, sang, danced, did some yoga under the full moon and called it a day. Did some cliff jumping the next day then packed up camp and made the three hour ride home (mostly down hill). Was a great trip.





That is all for this week. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Wow, that cow grew a lot.