Sunday, March 02, 2008

What it's like to be famous

Last night I had the most bizarre experience. I felt what it is like to be famous for no good reason. One of Senegal's most well-known singers, Baba Maal, played the National Theatre last night to a packed crowd, including many dignitaries. I had met the MC earlier in the day when I went to buy my ticket. We chatted a little in the local language Pulaar and he told me to come back early to get a good seat. I was one of the first people to arrive and grabbed a seat right behind the VIPs.

Mind you I thought this was a normal concert so I looked like this



Yet as the crowd filled in, the women were showing up dressed like this





Needless to say I was a little underdressed. I would have been cool with being the one person in jeans and a tshirt, if I hadn't been included in the program at the last minute. There must have been technical difficulties and the MC panicked so all the sudden I see him walk over to me and call out "Hey sister, come up here and speak some Pulaar for the people!" Can I reiterate that the National Theatre is full of very important people covered in very expensive fabric, the tv cameras are rolling, and I looked like a a scruffy Peace Corps Volunteer. I felt 2000 eyes bore into the back of my head and rose to my feet, convinced I that could and must say something to save face for the MC and myself. I took the mic from the MC and faced the audience, when all the sudden my radio personality took over. I have had a weekly radio station in the local language for the past year and a half, so all the sudden my schpeel came flowing out of my mouth. "On Jarama Dakar Nabbe, min ko Dienaba Sow, volunterjo e Kedougou. Mi salmini on fow! " Literally translated as "Good evening people of Dakar, my name is Dienaba Sow, I am a volunteer in Kedougou and I greet you all" The crowd collectively gasped and broke into applause. I felt ten feet tall and bullet-proof. After the show people came up to talk to me in Pulaar and I felt such a sense of belonging to my Pulaar people that I must have exuded nothing but love. Last night was amazing and I will never forget it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You legend.