Friday, December 17, 2004

From the City of Lights to the Left Coast

Taking a fast train to Paris tomorrow for a weekend in my favorite city. When I lived in Paris in 2002 I found myself hating it at times. Just like a poor hungry beggar would resent the festive meals seen thru fogged windows, I resented Paris' unattainable entertainment due to my lack of cash. Not that I have much more money now, but spending just 2 days in the City of Lights will be invigorating. I love the abundance of shops, people, activities, and the beauty of the monuments and Christmas decorations. I love using my intimate knowledge of the city to show others around. I look forward to seeing the Eiffel Tower illuminated by Christmas lights and the smell of roasting chestnuts on the street.

Monday I will be taking a direct flight from Charles De Gaulle to LAX. I am not stoked about security or customs, but some evils are necessary. To say that I am excited about being back in Cali is an understatement. It has be miserabley cold here for the past few days (-1° C at the lowest) and I look forward to wearing t-shirts and seeing the sun again. I hope that I have the will power to get back on the plane and return to truly freezing conditions in a town that is about as exciting cold white rice.

Have I mentioned my latest escape plan? Last week I received my long term visa (carte de séjour) that is good thru the end of '05. This is truly a blessing as it gives me the right to work and others only received permission to stay thru July '05. I guess being a sweetheart to the lady at the front desk and always keeping my smile really paid off. Anyway, I will be heading to the French Riviera in April to find a job in a bar or on a tourist sailboat and work thru August or September. All I want to do is lounge on the beach during the day and take money from drunk tourists by night. I am living the life.

If I don't update while I am in the States, I would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and a happy and safe New Year.

Burritos and Burgers, here I come!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there -- "Aunt" Diane here. Finally found your website, and it's very cool reading about all your adventures. I didn't realize that your BD was 12/8, or I would have said HB when you were in Cali over the holidays. I want you to know that I'm very jealous that you're doing so much, traveling, living in a foreign country and all. I admire your independence and sense of adventure. Very impressive. BTW, my BD is 12/2 so we're both Sagitarrians. That's cool.... Anyway, if you have a chance, send me an email, OK. dianeshawsocal@yahoo.com.

Love ya!!! Diane