Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bandia Nature Reserve

I have had the great fortune in my life to be close to many exotic and endangered animals. In Thailand I petted tigers, in Belize I swam with sharks, and in Senegal I have seen more animals than would be couth to print. Last week I had the privilege of visiting the Bandia Nature Reserve just outside of Dakar. I was thrilled by the close encounters with giraffes, hippos, gazelles, and all sorts of other four legged creatures.

A giraffe drinks water, it's most vulnerable position.



Zebra butts, the stripes are not slimming.



Notice the great interest the giraffes have in the one's poop/pee. I can only hope the excrement is sending an important message from beyond, otherwise that is just gross.



Up close and personal



Giraffes lovers



Yes that is a rhino in the background



The rhinos were pretty sleepy this time of day



Many gazelles ran away from our car



All I can say as a lasting message is go out and see the world while there is still world to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alexandra. You don't know me. I'm Graziano. I'm Italian. While I was looking for something about the Bandia Reserve (Senegal), I found out your blog and your very nice photos. I just want to say: "Thank you". I'll go to Senegal in a few days to spend my holidays. Now I know that I MUST go to Bandia Reserve.

Bye, Graziano (graziano.girotti@gmail.com)