Sunday, August 31, 2008

Get your hair did

I was in the market in Kedougou with my best friend Fanta when she dragged me to the salon to get her hair done. I had no idea what she was getting done, but it turns out I watched her get her hair relaxed. This is a method of straightening the hair by combing lye through it. It burns, it stinks, and it costs less than a dollar. I was reminded of a passage I read by Malcolm X where he rails against the practice as cruel and racist, among other things.

Before



The lye being combed thru the hair, all being careful not to touch it



A little boy getting his head shaved



Take your pick of styles off the wall, ou bien, off the wall styles



And after, I think Fanta looks gorgeous either way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI... the more modern term for what you witnessed was your friend getting her "permed" or "relaxed." Many black women in the states still go through this process today. I've not had that done in almost 4 years. Trust me. That process is no fun.

There's even a debate about beauty, racism, rejection of the main culture, and much more between women who chemically straighten their hair and women who choose to wear it "naturally". Who knew what a woman chooses to do with her hair could spark such controversy (and such a lengthy comment from me)?