Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Another day in Romans

So this is really annoying. I keep typing as if I was on a French keyboard while I am typing on my laptop. Just when you get used to one thing it changes right back.
I should really go to sleep considering I am teaching in seven hours. This gig really takes a lot out of me. The first class that I taught had nearly 20 students in it and only about 5 of them spoke. The others just chatted when my back was turned or stared off into space. I honestly understood their frustration considering I dropped out of highschool at 16. That is so crazy for me to be teaching these kids who are the same age I as was when I started college, they look so young. I guess I finally understand why I got such strange looks in my classes. The other classes were better because I demanded that I only take five students at a time. I taught them about the presidential elections and stereotypes. They seemed to get a kick out of telling me that Americans are McDonald’s eating, Coke swilling fatties. Gotta love Frenchies.
After class ended at 5 I when to the market to buy some food for dinner and mellowed out in my room for about an hour. Then at 7pm I when over to a British woman’s house in the suburbs (if there is even an urban place to be ‘subbed’). There were 5 English assistants and two British women for dinner and drinks. This one woman Veronique is awesome. She is French but was married to an English dude so she speaks the bomb English. She was so funny cuz she had drama with another English teacher there and was all to happy to share the gossip after the other left. Some habits are universal, and the cattiness of women cannot be denied no matter what side of the pond you live on.
The weather in Romans is changing. The wind is blowing and with a crazy force and I can tell it is going to get cold soon. Once the weather changes I am sure that I will be holed up in my apartment swilling booze writing the next great American novel. How Hemingway of me.
Gonna go now. Thank you everyone for writing me kind notes and keeping me posted on the gossip back in the states. Just because I am gone for now doesn’t mean that I am not interested in the sordid details.
And Maximites, good luck with the cuts if there are any. If any of you want to escape the states and come here to France I now a great little town that shuts down at 7 and doesn’t have any bars.

No comments: