Friday, October 01, 2004

Here, in the Clear, in need of some Cheer

How frustrating...I am on a french keyboard, and like everything else here it is just slightly different. I am in Romans-sur-Isère at my school finally. I live on campus in a furnished apartment with an Italian girl and an English girl. They are both pretty cool. The apartment itself is awesome, my room has a terrace that is at least 30ft by 30ft! My room faces north so I get tons of sun which is both a blessing and a curse. And get this, it is just 30€ a month!
Paris was great. I saw a lot of the Frenchies that I knew when I lived there before. I went to a bunch of museums that I was too lazy to visit last time and ate a lot of bread and cheese. We went dancing till 4am one night, but for the most part just chilled.
After a week in the city of light I went to Grenoble for orientation. We went to a small village in the Alps called Autrans where the winter olympics in 1968 where held. It would have been better to call it summer camp as there were 80 kids doing the hey-how-are-ya bit and sleeping in bunk beds. I find this kind of interaction to be exhausting, especially after two weeks on the road. I met some cool Aussies and Brits and cliqued up with other girls in Romans.
So here I am and it is finally setting in. I miss my family, I miss my friends, I miss the beach, and I miss being local. My french sucks compared to others assistants. I am trying to keep my chin up and live this experience in the now but it is hard. The nights are the hardest, when I lay awake thinking about the ocean lapping at the shore or the sun on my face. I miss being loved by those around me. I have no idea what I am going to do after this is all over in April. I could nearly have a panic attack just thinking about that.
So this weekend I am going to go to the South of France and try to find a beach to swim at. I hope this will put a bandaid on my home sickness.
Please email me at alexandrashaw@gmail.com. I need to hear friendly words as I cut my way thru this jungle.

No comments: